[collectd] Collectd Best Know Deployment Methods

Ricardo J. Barberis ricardo at palmtx.com.ar
Thu Apr 2 01:11:39 CEST 2020

El Miércoles 01/04/2020 a las 19:33, Abraham A escribió:
> This is a question for a best known method to send metrics from virtual
> and bare metal instances through collectd > collectd-gnocchi plugin, to
> our controller node.
>
> The cluster components are:
>
> - One controller node
> - Two compute nodes
> - Virtual machines instances
> - Bare metal instances
>
> We are using CentOS, OpenStack version Stein has been installed
> using PackStack with Telemetry service enabled, and Gnocchi as
> database.
>
> The related packages installed through YUM and their versions are
> the following:
>
> - gnocchi-api.noarch 4.3.2-1.el7
> - gnocchi-common.noarch 4.3.2-1.el7
> - gnocchi-doc.noarch 4.3.2-1.el7
> - gnocchi-metricd.noarch 4.3.2-1.el7
> - gnocchi-statsd.noarch 4.3.2-1.el7
> - collectd.x86_64 5.8.1-1.el7
> - python2-collectd-gnocchi.noarch 1.7.1-1.el7
>
> And our existing Gnocchi authentication method is keystone. We are
> collecting data through collected > collectd-gnocchi from our controller
> and compute nodes without any issue, using keystone authentication
> method:
>
> Gnocchi Configuration
>
> [keystone_authtoken]
> www_authenticate_uri=http://10.10.10.6:5000/v3
> auth_uri=http://10.10.10.6:5000/v3
> auth_type=password
> auth_version=v3
> auth_url=http://10.10.10.6:5000
> username=gnocchi
> password=somepassword
> user_domain_name=Default
> project_name=services
> project_domain_name=Default
>
> Collectd configuration :: collectd-gnocchi plugin
>
> <Plugin python>
>         <Module collectd_gnocchi>
>                 Auth_Mode keystone
>                 Auth_Url "http://10.10.10.6:5000"
>                 Username admin
>                 Project_Name admin
>                 Password somepassword
>                 User_Domain_Name default
>                 Project_Domain_Name default
>                 ResourceType controller_node
>         </Module>
> </Plugin>
>
> The next step is to enable the collection of data through collected plugin
> in virtual machines and bare metal instances but existing keystone
> configuration requires us to have the collectd-gnocchi password in plaint
> text.
>
> What is the best know method to enable our virtual machines and bare metal
> instances to send data from collected without exposing the gnocchi password
> in plain text?
>
> Any other output plugin to send that data and avoid the collectd-gnocchi
> path that is feasible?
>
> Thanks for your support.
>
> Best Regards
> Abraham

I'm studiyng a similar scenario (ceilometer+gnocchi) but only for hypervisor
metrics (we currently use collectd in our hypervisors and cloud servers, and
send metrics to graphite).

I'm guessing you could install collectd in your cloud servers and send the
metrics to a (maybe sepparate) collectd instance acting as a forwarder to
gnocchi.

That way you can use a collectd password specific to the cloud servers without
exposing your keystone credentials.

Cheers!
--
Ricardo J. Barberis