[collectd] Collectd Best Know Deployment Methods

Abraham A xe1gyq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 00:33:42 CEST 2020

This is a question for a best known method to send metrics from virtual
and bare metal instances through collectd > collectd-gnocchi plugin, to
our controller node.

The cluster components are:

- One controller node
- Two compute nodes
- Virtual machines instances
- Bare metal instances

We are using CentOS, OpenStack version Stein has been installed
using PackStack with Telemetry service enabled, and Gnocchi as
database.

The related packages installed through YUM and their versions are
the following:

- gnocchi-api.noarch 4.3.2-1.el7
- gnocchi-common.noarch 4.3.2-1.el7
- gnocchi-doc.noarch 4.3.2-1.el7
- gnocchi-metricd.noarch 4.3.2-1.el7
- gnocchi-statsd.noarch 4.3.2-1.el7
- collectd.x86_64 5.8.1-1.el7
- python2-collectd-gnocchi.noarch 1.7.1-1.el7

And our existing Gnocchi authentication method is keystone. We are
collecting data through collected > collectd-gnocchi from our controller
and compute nodes without any issue, using keystone authentication
method:

Gnocchi Configuration

[keystone_authtoken]
www_authenticate_uri=http://10.10.10.6:5000/v3
auth_uri=http://10.10.10.6:5000/v3
auth_type=password
auth_version=v3
auth_url=http://10.10.10.6:5000
username=gnocchi
password=somepassword
user_domain_name=Default
project_name=services
project_domain_name=Default

Collectd configuration :: collectd-gnocchi plugin

<Plugin python>
        <Module collectd_gnocchi>
                Auth_Mode keystone
                Auth_Url "http://10.10.10.6:5000"
                Username admin
                Project_Name admin
                Password somepassword
                User_Domain_Name default
                Project_Domain_Name default
                ResourceType controller_node
        </Module>
</Plugin>

The next step is to enable the collection of data through collected plugin in
virtual machines and bare metal instances but existing keystone
configuration requires us to have the collectd-gnocchi password in plaint text.

What is the best know method to enable our virtual machines and bare metal
instances to send data from collected without exposing the gnocchi password
in plain text?

Any other output plugin to send that data and avoid the collectd-gnocchi
path that is feasible?

Thanks for your support.

Best Regards
Abraham