[collectd] Collectd Best Know Deployment Methods

Abraham A xe1gyq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 02:32:30 CEST 2020

> I'm studiyng a similar scenario (ceilometer+gnocchi) but only for hypervisor
> metrics (we currently use collectd in our hypervisors and cloud servers, and
> send metrics to graphite).
>
> I'm guessing you could install collectd in your cloud servers and send the
> metrics to a (maybe sepparate) collectd instance acting as a forwarder to
> gnocchi.
>
> That way you can use a collectd password specific to the cloud servers without
> exposing your keystone credentials.

Thanks Ricardo for your suggestion,

I will set up that intermediate instance acting as a forwarder using
the Network type plugin
for now, what I understand so far is the following high level deployment:

1. Bare Metal / Virtual Instance: Plugin:Network > Client (Write Type Plugin)
2. Intermediate Instance / Forwarder with 2 plugins:
    - Plugin:Network > Server (Read Type Plugin)
    - Plugin:Collectd Gnocchi Python (Write Type Plugin)

I assume in that intermediate instance, collectd takes care of
grabbing the input from the
network plugin and sending it through any of the configured write type
plugins, in this case,
the collect gnocchi plugin.

I will report back what was the result of this.

Best Regards
Abraham