[collectd] [Internet] Re: collectd storing data in a db without data condensing (like rrd)?

Grzybek Mathieu CNE (BCQ STIG) mathieu.grzybek at gendarmerie.interieur.gouv.fr
Tue Apr 18 12:07:58 CEST 2017

Hi,

In order to improve agility and manage bursts, my collectd daemons write
to a RabbitMQ cluster. Then, the metrics are consumed by carbon-aggregator.

The actual situation :
- about 4 000 metrics / second on the broker (1 point per minute)
- metrics are consumed by 2 queues, for multi-datacenter replication
- about 850 hosts
- 144 135 whisper files

The advantages :
- any client can consume the metrics (graphite, real time monitoring
with riemann…) without breaking the whole workflow
- it is easier to change the backend (no collectd reconfiguration)
- you can stop your backend without loosing the data thaks to RabbitMQ's
buffer
- creating graphs using Grafana is really easy for the end-user

The disadvantages :
- the architecture is more complex
- graphite / whisper storage is not flexible
- managing a distributed environment is a pain in the ass

The future :
- use Elasticsearch (already used for logs with Graylog) to store metrics
- use OenTSDB connected to our Hadoop cluster to deal with long-term
storage and data science

Mathieu