[collectd] observe idle state of home server with collectd?

Marc Fournier marc.fournier at camptocamp.com
Thu Feb 12 12:00:17 CET 2015

Excerpts from Thomas Koch's message of 2015-02-10 20:48:55 +0100:
> first asked here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28399754
>
> I've setup my home server to wake-on-lan and my router sends the wake-on-lan
> package when I try to access the server from anywhere.
>
> Now the server should also suspend again after like 5 minutes after
>
>   -  last disk activity
>   -  last network activity
>   -  and last considerable CPU load
>
> I thought I could write a collectd configuration with lower bound thresholds
> for cpu load, disk io and network traffic. If this config detects an idle state
> for 5 consecutive minutes than it notifies "pm-suspend".
>
> Do you think this might be possible? Do you have some hints for the config?
> I've not used collectd before.

This should be doable. Basically, you'll want to use the threshold
plugin and configure it to watch the metrics which indicate low usage.
This is described in collectd-threshold(5).

When a threshold is met, collectd will emit a notification event, which
you can intercept in a custom script using the exec plugin's
NotificationExec parameter. collectd-exec(5) has all the details.

Have fun !
Marc