[collectd] Output Plugins Stop Reporting

Richard Guest R.Guest at gns.cri.nz
Mon Dec 1 23:29:18 CET 2014

Hi all,

I'm having some intermittent issues with collectd on CentOS 6, that I
could really use some help debugging.

The specific issue I'm facing is the output plugins appear to stop
reporting and don't start again until collectd is restarted.
To be clear: I can't be certain the read plugins are still collecting and
I could use some help figuring that out too.

I don't know what causes this to happen, so I can't reproduce the issue
which makes it _extremely_ difficult to debug.

Initially I thought this was limited to the write_http plugin and some
network issue sending metrics to librato.
But since enabling the csv plugin, it appears that both the write_http and
csv plugins stop reporting at the same time.

I have the syslog plugin enabled, but haven't seen any helpful messages.
I have also tried 'strace -ttt -s 2048 -p $COLLECTD_PID' on the effected
nodes, but all that gives me is a bunch of nanosleep syscalls.

I chucked my default config in a gist (yes, it's configured by puppet):
https://gist.github.com/quiffman/11d8b028675bc57f3e13

And FWIW, I initially ran into this on 4.10.9-1.el6 and have since
compiled and switched to 5.4.1, which is running on around 30 nodes.

*Any* help or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

--
Richard Guest - GeoNet Senior Software Engineer
GNS Science - Te Pu Ao

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.