[collectd] Nagios plugins

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Feb 20 15:46:21 CET 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 02:56:30PM +0100, Frédéric Pégé wrote:
> For those who're interested, I've developped a few plugins for
> Nagios/Centreon/Icinga/Shinken to check a few things from Collectd
> Load / Mem / Swap / NIC / Spase / Disk IO
>
> The advantage of that is to connect only to one server : the collectd
> central node.
>
> They are written in python using the CollectD module shipped in "contrib"
> (I've added a few funcs), and nagaconda.

How about submitting the new functions to collectd? Either send a patch
to this list or (preferred) open a pull request on Github.

> I've also written a few files for shinken packs, and a discovery scripts.
> It connects to the unixsocket and gets the hosts lists, and each of them
> the nic list, disk list, mount-point list, ...
>
> Anyone interested ?
> Where I can put that stuff ?

Sounds interesting. I'd go for creating a new project for that on some
project / code hosting site or making the code available through your
website (if available).

Also, I think it would make sense to add some notes about this to
<https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Collectd-nagios> in a new section
(e.g. "Alternate approaches").

As a side-note: I've already had the idea of doing something similar
using Lua. The advantage of Lua would be that writing new code should
still be fairly easy for everybody but it could also fairly easy be
embedded into C programs. E.g. the mod-gearman worker comes to my mind
:-)

Cheers,