[collectd] port open, packets received, no data. now what?

Michael Hart michael.hart at arcticwolf.com
Tue Dec 17 22:22:08 CET 2013

Sounds almost like a firewall rule blocking the port, that behaviour sounds familiar. Do you have iptables running on the receiver host?

mike

--
Michael Hart
Arctic Wolf Networks

On Dec 17, 2013, at 2:44 PM, Craig Calef <craig.calef at thecontrolgroup.com<mailto:craig.calef at thecontrolgroup.com>> wrote:

Hi guys,

I seldom ever resort to asking on mailing lists for help but I've reached the end of my rope and, unfortunately, the 'Troubleshooting' section on the wiki.

Simply put I have a collectd instance setup to listen for data from another collectd instance and writes the data into graphite.  I can verify with 'netstat -lnp' that collectd is listening on the appropriate interface, I see data coming into the host with `tpcdump` from my data source.  Data from the 'receiver' collectd is getting into graphite (and rrd when i enable that plugin), but it never does anything with the remote metrics.  I see in strace that collectd is binding to the port, but never see any read calls when a packet comes in.

Any advice or guidance on things to explore would be greatly, greatly appreciated.  I really really want to use collectd to work for this application and this is my last hope for getting it working.

Best,
Craig Calef