[collectd] port open, packets received, no data. now what?

Craig Calef craig.calef at thecontrolgroup.com
Tue Dec 17 20:44:20 CET 2013

Hi guys,

I seldom ever resort to asking on mailing lists for help but I've reached
the end of my rope and, unfortunately, the 'Troubleshooting' section on the
wiki.

Simply put I have a collectd instance setup to listen for data from another
collectd instance and writes the data into graphite.  I can verify with
'netstat -lnp' that collectd is listening on the appropriate interface, I
see data coming into the host with `tpcdump` from my data source.  Data
from the 'receiver' collectd is getting into graphite (and rrd when i
enable that plugin), but it never does anything with the remote metrics.  I
see in strace that collectd is binding to the port, but never see any read
calls when a packet comes in.

Any advice or guidance on things to explore would be greatly, greatly
appreciated.  I really really want to use collectd to work for this
application and this is my last hope for getting it working.

Best,
Craig Calef