[collectd] write_http behaviour on POST failure?

Marc Fournier marc.fournier at camptocamp.com
Thu Dec 12 21:30:29 CET 2013

Hello Otis,

Excerpts from Otis Gospodnetic's message of 2013-12-12 17:56:59 +0100:
> Thanks Mark!
>
> Would it make sense to improve that plugin and let it fall-back to writing
> to disk, say by using one of the csv output plugins, in case of failure?
> Even if nothing in Collectd itself is able to pick up that data and re-send
> it at a later time, it would allow others to put things like file tailing
> agents there that, should any data be written to disk, could pick it up and
> resend it.

I'm not sure "fallback to writing to $somewhere_safer" would fit very well
in the collectd model.

What I would do in your place is enable > 1 write plugins to maximise the
chances at least one of them is able to save the data somewhere. The CSV
plugin is a dead simple one which would fit quite well in this case I
think. NB: not all write plugins are prefixed with "write_" for historical
reasons.

Marc