[collectd] collectd zermoq status or other tcp transport options?

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Thu Aug 8 09:26:55 CEST 2013

Hi Hans,

On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 11:27:50AM -0400, Hans Lellelid wrote:
> I stumbled upon the ZeroMQ plugin page.  This sounded perfect, but I
> couldn't actually find any zeromq source in the collectd project or
> github branches.

this was a project a while back that never got finished. The code is
still available [0] but would probably need some work to be rebased onto
the current master branch.

It's been too long to remember what kept this from being merged, but if
you're interested on working on this I'll take a look and we can get a
code review process started.

> My actual requirement is simply to have a high-performance TCP alternative
> to use in remote datacenters, so if there's something else that works as
> well or better, I'd be grateful for any pointers.

The AMQP plugin might be worth a look.

Also, there's this idea of creating a "netcmd" plugin [1]. It's supposed
to work like the "unixsock" plugin first (i.e. accept control commands
such as "flush") but I would like to, eventually, make it possible to
use for collectd-to-collectd traffic, too.

(I'm kind of ashamed of this plugin: I've been working on it for years
and it's been nearly done for pretty much the entire time. I really
should finish it up some time. Soon …)

HTH and best regards,
—octo

[0] <https://github.com/octo/collectd/tree/ja/zeromq>
[1] <https://github.com/octo/collectd/tree/ff/netcmd>
--
collectd – The system statistics collection daemon
Website: http://collectd.org