[collectd] collectd zermoq status or other tcp transport options?

Hans Lellelid hans at velum.net
Thu Aug 8 15:51:32 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Florian Forster <octo at collectd.org> wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 11:27:50AM -0400, Hans Lellelid wrote:
> > I stumbled upon the ZeroMQ plugin page.  This sounded perfect, but I
> > couldn't actually find any zeromq source in the collectd project or
> > github branches.
>
> this was a project a while back that never got finished. The code is
> still available [0] but would probably need some work to be rebased onto
> the current master branch.
>
> It's been too long to remember what kept this from being merged, but if
> you're interested on working on this I'll take a look and we can get a
> code review process started.

I probably don't have the requisite expertise to do much other than see if
I can get this plugin to compile.  Or maybe see if I can forward port the
zeromq plugin that was "backported" or something.  Might be saner to try to
do this outside of the collectd tree?  This does seem like a nice fit for
zeromq, so I'm hoping I can make this work -- even if this model is only
deployed selectively for places where we need to avoid UDP.

> My actual requirement is simply to have a high-performance TCP alternative
> > to use in remote datacenters, so if there's something else that works as
> > well or better, I'd be grateful for any pointers.
>
> The AMQP plugin might be worth a look.
>
> Yeah, I was worried about the "this is a work in progress" note on the
wiki page next to the subscribe example, but certainly I could give that a
shot.  I've got a little experience w/ AMQP brokers, so that shouldn't be
too bad.  Thanks for the tip.

> Also, there's this idea of creating a "netcmd" plugin [1]. It's supposed
> to work like the "unixsock" plugin first (i.e. accept control commands
> such as "flush") but I would like to, eventually, make it possible to
> use for collectd-to-collectd traffic, too.

This also sounds great.  I'll keep a lookout for this plugin in the future
too.

Thanks,
Hans