[collectd] collectd zermoq status or other tcp transport options?

Hans Lellelid hans at velum.net
Wed Aug 7 17:27:50 CEST 2013

We're have issues with getting UDP reliably from some of the remote reaches
of our network.  I was trying to find tcp options to effectively replace
the "network" plugin to ship our stats to a central server.  I stumbled
upon the ZeroMQ plugin page.  This sounded perfect, but I couldn't actually
find any zeromq source in the collectd project or github branches.  (Was
this in there & then later removed?  Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.)

I was wondering if anyone can comment on the status of this plugin or any
experience with any of the others out there (I see there is a "backport" to
4.10 on github [2] which I may try to forward port...).  And then I see
other  projects [3][4] which don't seem especially active.

My actual requirement is simply to have a high-performance TCP alternative
to use in remote datacenters, so if there's something else that works as
well or better, I'd be grateful for any pointers.  (We probably only need a
system that will support something on the order of hundreds of nodes.)

Thanks in advance!
Hans

[1] https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:ZeroMQ
[2] https://github.com/rpedde/collectd-zeromq