[collectd] GenericJMX and locked up Tomcat...

Andreas Maus a.maus at science-computing.de
Fri Mar 2 15:45:52 CET 2012

Hi.

Yes we see this quiet often but it is harmless and caused by jitter
in your system time. Depending on your collectd interval and the system load
this will occur quiet often. We usually see this messages on a VMware
under heavy I/O load.

As said before, this is nothing to worry about.

HTH,

Andreas.

On 03/02/12 15:15, Josh Jacob wrote:
> I have a collectd 5.0.1 instance monitoring 6 local Tomcat instances with the GenericJMX plugin. One of my Tomcat instances will occasionally run out of heap and essentially become unresponsive. When that happens, collectd/GenericJMX won't collect data from any of the other Tomcat instances even though the other instances are running fine. The collectd log starts to fill with lots of these messages:
>
> [2012-03-02 06:39:59] rrdtool plugin: rrd_update_r (/opt/collectd/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/GenericJMX-tomcat1-memory_pool-CMS Perm Gen/jmx_memory-init.rrd) failed: /opt/collectd/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/GenericJMX-tomcat1-memory_pool-CMS Perm Gen/jmx_memory-init.rrd: illegal attempt to update using time 1330688269 when last update time is 1330688269 (minimum one second step)
>
> Has anyone on the list seen or addressed anything like this?
>
> - josh

Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Maus             science+computing ag
System Administration               Hagellocher Weg 73
tel.: +49 7071 9457 671             72070 Tuebingen, Germany
fax: +49 7071 9457 411              www.science-computing.de
--
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/