[collectd] collectd tail plugin regex

Ewing Greg (ITG) Greg.Ewing at uk.fujitsu.com
Fri Mar 2 17:32:08 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm having issues getting the tail plugin to produce any meaningful output, and wonder if I can ask for some help and support.

I have been fiddling with it for a few hours now and have to admit that I don't understand enough about regex to make it work, or perhaps I'm doing something else wrong.

I'm trying to get tail to follow /var/log/secure to count the rate of ssh failed and successful connection attempts, in a similar manner to the example in the documentation.  However I cant get any data to be captured in the rrd what so ever. I conclude that I am doing something wrong, please can you help?  The regex examples in the documentation did not provide anything more than the example below.  Please let me know if you need more information.

Eventually I want to use the tail plugin to monitor DHCP Address Allocations too.

The System is RHEL5.2

The plugin configuration I am using is as follows (trying just to capture anything at present):

LoadPlugin tail
<Plugin "tail">
  <File "/var/log/secure">
    Instance "ssh"
    <Match>
      Regex "."
      DSType CounterInc
      Type counter
      Instance "ssh"
    </Match>
  </File>
</Plugin>

Greg Ewing    -    Business Operations ITG - Strategy Lead for Voice and Data Networks (UK and Ireland)
Phone / FaceTime : +44 (0) 7867 837966        Email: greg.ewing at uk.fujitsu.com<mailto:greg.ewing at uk.fujitsu.com>       Web : http://uk.fujitsu.com

Unless otherwise stated, this email has been sent from Fujitsu Services Limited, from Fujitsu (FTS) Limited, or from Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited, together "Fujitsu".

This email is only for the use of its intended recipient.  Its contents are subject to a duty of confidence and may be privileged.  Fujitsu does not guarantee that this email has not been intercepted and amended or that it is virus-free.

Fujitsu Services Limited, registered in England No 96056, registered office 22 Baker Street, London W1U 3BW.

Fujitsu (FTS) Limited, registered in England No 03808613, registered office 22 Baker Street, London W1U 3BW.

Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited, registered in England No 2548187, registered office Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, Birmingham, B37 7YU.