[collectd] GenericJMX and locked up Tomcat...

Josh Jacob josh.jacob at hansoninc.com
Fri Mar 2 15:15:16 CET 2012

I have a collectd 5.0.1 instance monitoring 6 local Tomcat instances with the GenericJMX plugin. One of my Tomcat instances will occasionally run out of heap and essentially become unresponsive. When that happens, collectd/GenericJMX won't collect data from any of the other Tomcat instances even though the other instances are running fine. The collectd log starts to fill with lots of these messages:

[2012-03-02 06:39:59] rrdtool plugin: rrd_update_r (/opt/collectd/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/GenericJMX-tomcat1-memory_pool-CMS Perm Gen/jmx_memory-init.rrd) failed: /opt/collectd/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/GenericJMX-tomcat1-memory_pool-CMS Perm Gen/jmx_memory-init.rrd: illegal attempt to update using time 1330688269 when last update time is 1330688269 (minimum one second step)

Has anyone on the list seen or addressed anything like this?

- josh