[collectd] Bugs and code reviews moving to GitHub

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Thu Mar 1 21:43:21 CET 2012

Hi everybody,

tl,dr: I'm deprecating Mantis and Gerrit in favor of GitHub.

Over the years, I've introduced a couple of techniques to simplify
contributing to collectd, for example Mantis, a bug tracking tool,
Gerrit, a code review utility, the wiki, a GitHub mirror, and so on.
However, this diversity has had a generally harmful effect in that
people created bugs, sometimes with patches attached, that I didn't
notice for months.

So in an attempt to clean up this mess, I'm now officially deprecating
Mantis and Gerrit in favor of "Issues" and "Pull Requests" (PR) on
GitHub. You can find these at:

  Issues:         https://github.com/collectd/collectd/issues
  Pull Requests:  https://github.com/collectd/collectd/pulls

Issues and Pull Requests (PRs) provide only basic functionality, but
I'll argue that overall this is a good thing. Mantis had a plethora of
fields and status, making it impossible for the majority of users to
understand how this is all supposed to work [*]. And Gerrit has not been
able to get rid of its Rietveld roots and work with a _distributed_ SCM;
not to mention either project's UI.

I'll work on moving bugs and patches to GitHub as time permits. Please
feel free to help out and move stuff over, it'll certainly expedite the
process.

Best regards,
—octo

[*] I recall the Mantis developers arguing over what the "correct" way
    of using the "feedback" status was.
--
collectd – The system statistics collection daemon
Website: http://collectd.org