[collectd] Modbus support

Matt Baker matt at sevenone.com
Mon Jan 10 09:48:11 CET 2011

Hi Florian,

If you have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modbus you can see the difference in frame format.
Basically there are three variants:

Modbus RTU		- modbus over serial interface, includes using CRC calculations for error checking

Modbus RTU over TCP - sends the RTU over a TCP/IP connection to a remote serial interface. Still uses RTU frame format including CRC calculations

Modbus/TCP		- has a slightly different frame format and doesn't use CRC calculations.

Unfortunately the last two variants are often confused :-)

libmodbus appears to currently support Modbus RTU and Modbus/TCP.

Regards,

Matt