[collectd] Installing collectd on Solaris hosts

Jean-Paul Blaquiere jeanpaul at blaquiere.id.au
Sun Jan 9 14:48:30 CET 2011

I've been trying to get collectd working on a series of Solaris and Ubuntu hosts.  The Ubuntu ones are easy (apt-get install collectd)
but, because I need to build it from source on Solaris, I am having some issues, and am feeling a little ... frustrated.

I have cloned the source out of the git repository, and have collectd built, and running on the host I built it on, however, getting it installed on any other host is  proving difficult.

I've tried a couple of methods, first, rsync /opt/collectd from the build host onto other hosts.  That gives me a whole heap of libtool errors
 - lt_dlopen (/opt/collectd/lib/collectd/syslog.so) failed: file not found
- etc etc etc

Method two is to copy the build directory across to a new host, and run 'make install.'  However, the Makefile then for some reason calls gcc, and others, which don't exist on a production server.  (development tools?  Not on my watch) and attempts to rebuild the entire collectd app, before it gets around to installing it.

I'm obviously missing something ....
I think the easiest way is to work out how to make libtool realise that there's a bunch of libraries associated with collectd, but I have no idea how to make that happen.

The other question, is, what process is followed for building the Solaris packages as listed on the website?  That would be really useful information to have publicly available.

Any ideas to help resolve this happily accepted.

/jp
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere
jeanpaul at blaquiere.id.au