[collectd] Modbus support

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Sun Jan 9 15:20:50 CET 2011

Hi Matt,

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 10:33:34PM +1030, Matt Baker wrote:
> Unfortunately though I discovered that the device I am using to do the
> Modbus conversion supports Modbus/TCP for interfaces connected
> directly, but provides a Modbus RTU over TCP for other external Modbus
> serial devices.

I thought that's what Modbus/TCP was, the Modbus protocol encapsulated
in a TCP stream rather than written to a serial interface. How is this
"RTU over TCP" thing different? Is there an additional protocol layer?

> Before I start going into this too far I was wondering if you had any
> thoughts on how difficult it would be to modify collectd to do this?

I'd actually implement this for "libmodbus" first, then adapt collectd /
the Modbus plugin if necessary. Author and maintainer of libmodbus is
Stéphane Raimbault who is very likely a much better help with anything
Modbus related than I am ;)

Best regards,
—octo
GnuPG: 0x0C705A15