[collectd] collectd-4.9.1 and perl OpenVZ plugin

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Sep 1 19:04:54 CEST 2010

Hi Sergey,

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 04:22:17PM +0400, Sergey wrote:
> I try to use perl OpenVZ plugin, but collectd is not started:
>
> Sep  1 13:02:47 collectd[31662]: perl: Initializing Perl interpreter...
> Sep  1 13:02:47 collectdmon[31661]: Warning: collectd terminated with exit status 2
> Sep  1 13:02:47 collectdmon[31661]: Warning: restarting collectd

Does collectd start, if the "OpenVZ" plugin is not used (i.e., no
"LoadPlugin" in the "perl" configuration)? What happens if you disable
the "perl" plugin altogether? Do you get any other messages on the
terminal when starting collectd? What about when starting collectd in
the foreground (using 'collectd -f' + any other options)? Where did you
get collectd from (did you compile it yourself or did you install
pre-compiled packages)?

Unfortunately, the above error messages do not tell much about what's
going on :-/

> config:
>
> <Plugin perl>
>         BaseName "Collectd::Plugin"
>         LoadPlugin OpenVZ
> </Plugin>
>
> I can see error "collectd[941]: perl: init_pi: Unable to bootstrap Collectd:
> Can't locate Devel/OpenVZ.pm in @INC" when I added 'EnableDebugger "OpenVZ"'.
> Why is "Devel" used ?

The option passed to 'EnableDebugger' specifies a debugging module to be
loaded (i.e., *not* a plugin to be debugged). Perl expects/requires
those plugins in the "Devel" namespace -- see the documentation for
perl's '-d' command line option (in perlrun(1)) for more details. So,
this is unrelated to the initial problem your facing.

HTH,