[collectd] Jcollectd configuration

Amit Gupta amit.gupta221 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 13:07:11 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Hrisheekesh Kale <
hrisheekesh_kale at persistent.co.in> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> I am trying to configure Jcollectd so that I get the statistics from Apache
> Tomcat server into a collectd instance which is running as a server.
>
> I followed the steps mentioned in Jcollectd document (
> http://support.hyperic.com/display/hypcomm/jcollectd)
>
> I could not get it to work successfully. I found that the configuration
> steps in the document were not very detailed.
>
> I have some questions:
>
> 1. I am trying to configure Jcollectd in sender mode i.e. I need to collect
> the statistics from Tomcat into my collectd. Does collect sever have to be
> configured in Multicast mode for it?  Can it also work with unicast mode?

Yes, I have got it working in unicast mode. IMO, as far as tomcat (client)
is concerned it doesn't matter whether collectd is in unicast mode or
multicast mode.

> 2. The document mentions following steps for Tomcat configuration:
>
>   export CATALINA_OPTS="-Djcd.instance=hudson -Djcd.dest=udp://10.1.0.102 -Djcd.tmpl=javalang,tomcat -javaagent:collectd.jar"
>
>   ./bin/catalina.sh start
>
> Double check your tomcat process to see if CATALINA_OPTS is set as
expected.

>   Is this all that is required to make Tomcat send Mbeans to collectd?
>
> Yes. Make sure that the jcd.dest is set correctly.

>  Where collectd.jar should be placed so that Tomcat will pick it up?
>
> You need to tell tomcat where to look for the collectd.jar via -javaagent
option. Do note that the javaagent option takes absolute path as well.

Regards
Amit