[collectd] Jcollectd configuration

Hrisheekesh Kale hrisheekesh_kale at persistent.co.in
Thu Mar 18 12:26:25 CET 2010

Hi,

I am trying to configure Jcollectd so that I get the statistics from Apache Tomcat server into a collectd instance which is running as a server.
I followed the steps mentioned in Jcollectd document (http://support.hyperic.com/display/hypcomm/jcollectd)
I could not get it to work successfully. I found that the configuration steps in the document were not very detailed.
I have some questions:
1. I am trying to configure Jcollectd in sender mode i.e. I need to collect the statistics from Tomcat into my collectd. Does collect sever have to be configured in Multicast mode for it? Can it also work with unicast mode?

2. The document mentions following steps for Tomcat configuration:

  export CATALINA_OPTS="-Djcd.instance=hudson -Djcd.dest=udp://10.1.0.102 -Djcd.tmpl=javalang,tomcat -javaagent:collectd.jar"

  ./bin/catalina.sh start

  Is this all that is required to make Tomcat send Mbeans to collectd? Where collectd.jar should be placed so that Tomcat will pick it up?

If someone has successfully done something like this, any details about the configuration steps are appreciated.

Thanks,

Hrisheekesh.

DISCLAIMER