[collectd] Large instalaction - Collecting data from

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Jun 12 11:10:33 CEST 2010

Hi Domagoj,

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 11:17:48AM +0200, Domagoj Mikac wrote:
> I am trying to pool SNMP performance data (with SNMP plugin) from
> aproximately 1750 routers.
> I have 4 configuration files for different types of routers  as stated
> bellow:
>
> routersA.cfg - 850 Host blocks and 5408 Data Blocks
> routersB.cfg - 683 Host blocks and 5839 Data Blocks
> routersC.cfg - 119 Host blocks and 1133 Data Blocks
> routersD.cfg - 99 Host blocks and 906 Data Blocks
> TOTAL: 1751 Host blocks and 13286 Data Blocks
>
> My problem is that after restaring collectd it creates only 10252 RRD
> files for 1411 hosts.
> No matter how many new hosts I add in config files it doesn't create
> any new RRDs.

there's no hard limit in the "SNMP" plugin or somewhere else in
collectd, so the number of configuration blocks should not be a problem.

There is, however, a hard limit on the number of file descriptors
libnetsnmp, the SNMP library used by the plugin, can have open at any
time, afaIk. If I recall correctly, the number was 1024. So with 1751
hosts you may well run into that problem.

I'm not quite sure what we can do about that. Your best bet is probably
to build Net-SNMP yourself and adjust the limit in the sources. Maybe
complaining to the Net-SNMP guys might help with that problem in the
future.

Regards,
—octo