[collectd] Large instalaction - Collecting data from

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Jun 12 11:25:36 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 11:10:33AM +0200, Florian Forster wrote:
> There is, however, a hard limit on the number of file descriptors
> libnetsnmp, the SNMP library used by the plugin, […]

I may have been a bit quick to pass the blame, here. libnetsnmp uses
select(2), which accepts up to FD_SETSIZE file descriptors.

> I'm not quite sure what we can do about that.

The solution would be to switch from select(2) to poll(2) which doesn't
have this limit because it's not using bitfields to identify file
descriptors. Still, a change in libnetsnmp is required.

Regards,
—octo