[collectd] Large instalaction - Collecting data from

Domagoj Mikac domagoj.mikac at metronet.hr
Fri Jun 4 11:17:48 CEST 2010

Hi,

I would appreciate any help regarding my problem with large collectd
installation.

I am trying to pool SNMP performance data (with SNMP plugin) from
aproximately 1750 routers.
I have 4 configuration files for different types of routers  as stated
bellow:

routersA.cfg - 850 Host blocks and 5408 Data Blocks
routersB.cfg - 683 Host blocks and 5839 Data Blocks
routersC.cfg - 119 Host blocks and 1133 Data Blocks
routersD.cfg - 99 Host blocks and 906 Data Blocks
TOTAL: 1751 Host blocks and 13286 Data Blocks

My problem is that after restaring collectd it creates only 10252 RRD
files for 1411 hosts.
No matter how many new hosts I add in config files it doesn't create any
new RRDs.
I am definitely missing something or doing wrong, so I would appreciate
any additional help.

thanks
Domagoj

These are the setting of RRD tool plugin

<Plugin rrdtool>
         DataDir "/opt/collectd/data"
         RRATimespan 2678400 8035200 16070400 32140800
         RRARows 8928 17760 17568 17568
         CacheFlush 3600
         CacheTimeout 300
         WritesPerSecond 50
</Plugin>

I set system limits (ulimt) to large numbers:

  ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 77823
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
open files                      (-n) 90000
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
max user processes              (-u) unlimited