[collectd] Varnish plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Jun 9 11:01:40 CEST 2010

Hi Jérôme,

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 08:04:21AM +0200, Jerome Renard wrote:
> While reading this email once again I am wondering if I did the right
> thing here.
> What I did is to clone your repository and checkout the jr/varnish
> branch but I do not have enough rights to push changes I guess.

I have taken your changes and modified the meta information, such as the
commit message. This resulted in a different commit-id and thus, from
the point of view of Git, in an entirely new branch.

The *content* doesn't differ, though:

  octo at alyja:~/collectd $ git diff jr/varnish..jeromer/master
  octo at alyja:~/collectd $

So what I'm asking is that you use my "jr/varnish" branch as the base
for new development. Here's how you do that. Beware: The following
commands will remove all changes you have in your working directory
(i.e. uncommitted stuff) and all commits after your (currently) latest
commit, 3e916c4 "- Updated configuration directives + doc".

  # Create a backup branch
  $ git checkout -b backup/master master
  # Add my Github repository as an additional "remote":
  $ git remote add -t jr/varnish octo git://github.com/octo/collectd.git
  # Fetch / update the "jr/varnish" branch from my repository:
  $ git remote update
  # Reset your master branch. This is what may cause data loss. Make
  # sure "git diff" doesn't return anything!
  $ git checkout master
  $ git reset --hard octo/jr/varnish
  # Force-update the branch in your Github repository:
  $ git push origin +master:master

Hope this helps. If not, let me know or ping me in IRC ;)
—octo