[collectd] Getting started with collectd

XANi xani666 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 23:37:12 CET 2010

Dnia 2010-01-27, śro o godzinie 10:49 -0500, Sébastien Pierre pisze:

> Hi Xani,
>

> I would like to create a dashboard to display collectd values coming
> from many different servers. From my understanding, collectd can
> "push" values to a specific server, provided it speaks collectd
> protocol -- but here I'd like to do it the other way, ie. pulling
> collectd data directly from the individual servers (and then populate
> a dashboard with this raw data).
>

> I should note that the servers are slices, so not on the same private
> network. In essence, what I'd like to do is:
>

> $ collectd_get_data slice1.mydomain.com
>   <PRINTS ALL COLLECTD VALUES FROM SLICE slice1.mydomain.com>
>

> $ collectd_get_data slice2.mydomain.com
>   <PRINTS ALL COLLECTD VALUES FROM SLICE slice2.mydomain.com>
>

> So where should I start ?
>

>  -- Sébastien

Probably the simplest way to do it would be to "push" them thru collectd
protocol to collectd instance on server with dashboard
and then query that instance using one of plugins, for example unixsocks
plugin
http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:UnixSock
http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plain_text_protocol
You probably could hack some simple daemon to serve data on nodes and
then "pull" data but setting up simple VPN would probably be simpler (in
case nodes and dashbaord server cant see eachother

--
Mariusz Gronczewski (XANi) <xani666 at gmail.com>
GnuPG: 0xEA8ACE64