[collectd] Getting started with collectd

Sébastien Pierre sebastien.pierre at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 16:49:54 CET 2010

Hi Xani,

I would like to create a dashboard to display collectd values coming from
many different servers. From my understanding, collectd can "push" values to
a specific server, provided it speaks collectd protocol -- but here I'd like
to do it the other way, ie. pulling collectd data directly from the
individual servers (and then populate a dashboard with this raw data).

I should note that the servers are slices, so not on the same private
network. In essence, what I'd like to do is:

$ collectd_get_data *slice1.mydomain.com*
  <PRINTS ALL COLLECTD VALUES FROM SLICE slice1.mydomain.com>

$ collectd_get_data *slice2.mydomain.com*
  <PRINTS ALL COLLECTD VALUES FROM SLICE slice2.mydomain.com>

So where should I start ?

 -- Sébastien