[collectd] Large interval difficulties

Petrin, Benjamin b.petrin at WPI.EDU
Tue Apr 6 21:54:48 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'm currently developing a plugin that only receives updates from its source in the order of once every 5 minutes. In the plugin, I set an equally large interval that guarantees I will always have about one set of values to dispatch on each read. When I check out the graphs generated by the included perl scripts (the only quick way I have right now to inspect the data) nothing appears. Inspecting the files produced by collectd look good:

epoch,wire,ipfrag,applayer
1270581264,71.669000,0.000000,71.739000
1270581508,33.525000,0.000000,33.696000
1270581513,39.338000,0.000000,39.466000
1270581518,47.175000,0.000000,47.253000
1270581523,46.429000,0.000000,46.470000

Still, the only way I'm able to get graphs produced is forcing the application the plugin is monitoring to spit out values much quicker, such as every 2 seconds. The program the plugin is monitoring is Snort, and it would be unreasonable to have users set their reporting interval on Snort so small. Any idea why I'm experiencing difficulties with larger intervals?

Best regards,
Benjamin Petrin