[collectd] Configure script readability request

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Tue Oct 6 15:55:31 CEST 2009

Hi Tim,

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 08:57:18AM -0400, Tim Henrich wrote:
> Finally, I realized the -with-libgcrypt-prefix=[PFX] needed to point
> to the same place as --with-libgcrypt=[PREFIX].

yeah, unfortunately not all --with-foo options behave exactly the same,
because some libraries provide foo-config scripts, some use pkg-config,
some don't provide anything and many are simply weird.

We usually do it like this if the library provides a foo-config script:

  * If the argument to --with-foo is a file and executable, then this
    executable is used as the foo-config script.

  * If the argument is a directory and ${argument}/bin/foo-config exists
    and is executable, then this is used as foo-config script.

  * If the argument is a directory (but no appropriate script exists)
    then the directories ${argument}/include and ${argument}/lib are
    added to the CPP- and LD-flags.

  * Else: The argument is ignored.

This is how it's supposed to work. If it behaves different for you,
we'll need the `config.log' and ideally the output of `configure' to
debug this.

Regards,
—octo