[collectd] embedding parrot into collectd (was: (Generic) Java pluginavailable for development/testing.)

Doug MacEachern Doug.MacEachern at hyperic.com
Sat Feb 21 00:06:54 CET 2009

On Feb 20, 2009, at 7:00 AM, Sebastian Harl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (I'm splitting this thread, since the topics are only very slightly
> related to another ... ;-))
>
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 03:40:11PM +0100, Florian Forster wrote:
>> Another nice way to get more scripting languages might be through
>> `Parrot'. From a quick glance the embedding interface seems quite
>> usable.
>
> Afaik, Parrot is still under _heavy_ development and mostly meant
> to be
> used for Perl6 (i.e., I suppose that's what most development is
> targeted
> at - see [1] for an overview of currently supported languages as
> well as
> the respective development status). So, I'd expect a rather
> unstable and
> / or incomplete API, but that's just a guess. Personally, I'd wait for
> Parrot 1.0. The development team currently releases fairly frequently
> and the latest release was called "the final countdown", so I'm
> expecting 1.0 to show up fairly soon[tm].

Have a look at Jeff Horwitz's mod_perl6/mod_parrot for a great
working example of the embedding api: http://www.smashing.org/jeff/
I agree its probably better to wait for 1.0, but good to know the
embedding API is in action early on.  Unlike Perl 5.0, I still
remember the contents of perlembed.pod just had "look at perlmain.c
and do something like that".