[collectd] Madwifi plugin v2

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sun Aug 16 11:34:02 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 10:58:09AM +0200, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> So, is there a way to find out which device we're dealing with from
> looking at which ioctl() calls failed?

I'm not positive I understand all that correctly either, I think the
following is going on:

There are (at least) two different kinds of interfaces created by the
driver: A master interface (which talks to the actual hardware) and
slave interfaces, which basically are virtual network connections. So
with two slave interfaces you could have one interface in Access Point
mode and the other in ad-hoc mode, for example.

Some of the statistics are only available for the master interface,
other statistics are only available for the slave interfaces. For
example the per-node interfaces can only be accessed via the slave
interfaces, because the master interface will never be associated with
any client or “station”.

Also, the per-node statistics only make sense when the interface is
running in AP-mode, because otherwise no client will associate with that
interface.

I think we should at least check the return values in ‘process_device’
and complain to the user if all three functions report an error.