[collectd] Madwifi plugin v2

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Sun Aug 16 10:58:09 CEST 2009

Hi Ondrej,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:09:50PM +0200, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> Error paths for ioctls in madwifi plugin are intentionally silent,
> because there are two classes of devices generated by madwifi driver
> (low level device usually called wifiX and high level device usually
> called athX) and some ioctl calls are successful on devices from the
> first class and other ioctl calls are successful on devices from the
> second class. The enumeration of network devices does not differentiate
> between them.

Disclaimer: I did not really look at the code yet, so please ignore me
if (some of) the stuff below exists already ;-)

So, is there a way to find out which device we're dealing with from
looking at which ioctl() calls failed? If that's possible and does not
add too much complexity (either in error proneness, code readability or
added "magic"), I'd suggest to report an error in case we've hit an
unknown class of devices and / or failed to collect some values. It's
very confusing to the user (and hard to debug for developers) if, e.g.,
the plugin does not collect any values but does not report errors
either.

Does that make sense? What do you think?

Cheers,