[collectd] Madwifi plugin v2

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sun Aug 16 13:19:01 CEST 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 11:34:02AM +0200, Florian Forster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 10:58:09AM +0200, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> > So, is there a way to find out which device we're dealing with from
> > looking at which ioctl() calls failed?
>
> I'm not positive I understand all that correctly either, I think the
> following is going on:
>
> There are (at least) two different kinds of interfaces created by the
> driver: A master interface (which talks to the actual hardware) and
> slave interfaces, which basically are virtual network connections. So
> with two slave interfaces you could have one interface in Access Point
> mode and the other in ad-hoc mode, for example.

Yes, exactly. The master interface accepts SIOCGATHSTATS, the slave
interface accepts SIOCG80211STATS, IEEE80211_IOCTL_STA_STATS and
IEEE80211_IOCTL_STA_INFO.

> Also, the per-node statistics only make sense when the interface is
> running in AP-mode, because otherwise no client will associate with that
> interface.

Not really. In station mode, there is one node representing the AP to
which the station is associated. I don't know behavior in ad-hoc mode,
but i suppose there are also nodes representing ad-hoc peers.

> I think we should at least check the return values in ???process_device???
> and complain to the user if all three functions report an error.

Yes, this is a good idea.

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo