[collectd] rrdcached setup anyone?

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Aug 13 07:35:59 CEST 2009

Hi Stefan,

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 04:59:23PM +0200, Stefan.Wiederoder at kaufland.de wrote:
> rrdcached is only capable of updating existing files, so how do I
> create those files on my central server (running collection3.cgi) ?

currently the daemon is in a state where it is a caching layer over the
existing local RRD files.

This means currently only the UNIX domain sockets are ready for
production use. If you use them, you can use collectd's `CreateFiles'
option to tell the RRDCacheD plugin to create the files if necessary.

There've been several discussions on the RRDtool mailing list on how to
turn RRDCacheD into a ``real'' network daemon. However, for this at
least these steps still need to be taken:

  * Implement encryption of the network traffic.
  * Implement authentication and add or improve authorization.
  * Implement at least the CREATE, DELETE and FETCH commands.

Hope this helps. Regards,