[collectd] apache and collectd plugin

Amit Gupta amit.gupta221 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 15:21:54 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Florian Forster <octo at verplant.org> wrote:
>> - lighttpd scoreboard is not yet handled. This would probably be my next task.
>
> lighttpd is not handled differently from Apache at all. The lighttpd
> specific code is in ‘apache_read’: The field ‘BusyServers’ (iIrc) and
> possibly another one is not reported by Apache but only by lighttpd. So
> there is probably not much to do to support lighttpd..

As far as I understand it, lighttpd scoreboard legends are different,
so we still have to process atleast the lighttpd scroeboard output in
addition to the apache scoreboard. I could have simply added the extra
counters needed by lighttpd in the submit_scoreboard but there seems
to be an conflict in some of the legends (e.g: read in apache is 'R'
and in lighttpd is 'r'), so we may need to handle scoreboard of both
the servers by using some differentiator.

>> It will be good to have different rrd file names for apache and
>> lighttpd which could only be done if we set different vl.type for both
>> the servers.
>> (which can be done only in the next major release if you folks are
>> planning to change the plugin name to httpd in the next major release)
>
> I think you mean the ‘vl.plugin’ field, right? I don't think that
> setting this field based on the data returned is a good idea. I've put
> down that the ‘apache’ plugin should be renamed on the appropriate wiki
> page [0] so we don't forget about it.
In this patch, I am already assigning v.plugin a value of instance
name. For legacy case, v.plugin will be assigned "apache". I was more
refering to the rrd file names (for instance
apache_bytes.rrd/lighttpd_bytes.rrd) but as you suggested, renaming
them to say http_bytes.rrd [in the next  major release] is also fine.

Regards
Amit