[collectd] apache and collectd plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Apr 15 10:01:38 CEST 2009

Hi Amit,

thanks for the patch :)

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 09:07:28PM +0530, Amit Gupta wrote:
> <Plugin apache>
>   <Instance "instance_name">
>      URL ....
>      Host ... # optional and defaults to hostname_g
>   </Instance>
>    URL ...
> </Plugin>
>
> I have defined Instance as a block and not Host because the idea here
> is to monitor multiple apache instances on the same machine.

Great :)

> The things which haven't been done as yet:
> - I haven't used plugin_register_complex_read as yet. The main reason
> being I am working on 4.6.1 version and I can't seem to find the
> function plugin_register_complex_read in the code base. I believe it
> is being added only in 4.6.2

That's okay, I can do that.. It's in the Git repository only, so 4.6.2
doesn't have it either ;)

> - lighttpd scoreboard is not yet handled. This would probably be my next task.

lighttpd is not handled differently from Apache at all. The lighttpd
specific code is in ‘apache_read’: The field ‘BusyServers’ (iIrc) and
possibly another one is not reported by Apache but only by lighttpd. So
there is probably not much to do to support lighttpd..

> It will be good to have different rrd file names for apache and
> lighttpd which could only be done if we set different vl.type for both
> the servers.
> (which can be done only in the next major release if you folks are
> planning to change the plugin name to httpd in the next major release)

I think you mean the ‘vl.plugin’ field, right? I don't think that
setting this field based on the data returned is a good idea. I've put
down that the ‘apache’ plugin should be renamed on the appropriate wiki
page [0] so we don't forget about it.

[0] <http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plans_for_5.0>