[collectd] OS X and the Network plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Apr 15 10:28:28 CEST 2009

Hi Bob,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 09:45:50PM -0600, Bob Cotton wrote:
> Because the other collectd processes I want to gather from are on the
> other side of a switch that is blocking udp traffic I'm trying to
> setup the Network plugin as such:

the network plugin always uses UDP, no matter how you set it up.

> However I can't telnet to that port ...

That is because telnet uses TCP.

> ... and netstat on tells me:
>
> > netstat -na |grep 25826
> udp4       0      0  *.25826                *.*

This looks fine, except it will only work with IPv4 (scnr ;).

There's an experimental plugin called ‘netcmd’ in the ‘ff/netcmd’ branch
of the Git repository. It uses TCP to expose the same interface used by
the unixsock plugin, see collectd-unixsock(5) and [0]. It's currently
not possible to transmit values with this plugin, but the receiving part
should be done. If you're interested in working on this plugin, please
send a short notice to the mailing list because other people may be
looking at it, too.

[0] <http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plain_text_protocol>