[collectd] Having problems with notifications

Brian Long brian at dotspots.com
Wed Apr 15 10:19:42 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm having some problems getting notifications to work consistently or
sometimes work at all. Every machine in our cluster runs collectd and sends
its data via the network plugin to a central master server. The master
server writes the data using rrd and also contains the <threshold/>
definitions for alarming. An interval of 30 is used everywhere at the moment
(10 was thrashing the master disk too much). The cluster runs a mixture of
4.5.x to 4.6.x and the master is running 4.6.2.

In this particular instance, one of the machines runs a custom <exec> plugin
that reports on a queue backlog size. The data is definitely making it to
the server becaues the RRD graph shows a nice fluctuation of queue size
(typically 0 and 10). On the central server I have the following definition:

<Threshold>
  <Type "current">
     WarningMin    0.00
     WarningMax    1.00
     FailureMin    0.00
     FailureMax    1.00
     DataSource    "value"
     Invert        false
     Persist       true
     Instance      "FetchQueueCount"
  </Type>
</Threshold>

The queue fluctuates between full and empty quite often, so this alarm ought
to be getting triggered and then okay and so on repeatedly. Instead, I have
never seen this alarm on a value range problem. Once in a long while it will
alarm on not receiving data, but never on data out of threshold.

The notification exec looks like:

<Plugin exec>
        NotificationExec "dotspots:dotspots"
"/dist/collectd/bin/notify-exec.rb"
</Plugin>

I have a logfile running on the master server and it is not indicating any
errors, and I don't see any info about notifications in the log (except when
I get a failure due to to the occasional incident of data not being
received.)

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Brian