[collectd] What are "interesting results" mentioned in FAQ?

Piotr Hosowicz the55 at wp.pl
Wed Dec 24 15:22:04 CET 2008

Hi everybody,

I am running a Python script that checks some stats and sends them to
stdout and further to the collectd server via exec plugin. I watched the
graphs and I saw very strange results. When I dumped collected RRD files
to XML i saw that data was not normal at all, I expectd it to be
numerial thousends / tens of thousands. Instead in the dumpo I saw a lot
of NaN's , fractional "almost zeroes" and very hight numbers in the
order of millions. Is this said interesting result? - I foubnd in the FAQ:

#
Can I adjust the interval in which data is collected?
Yes, since version 3.9.0 this can be set at compile-time. Keep in mind,
though, that this will change the layout of the generated RRD-files.
Also, clients and servers should have the same setting here to avoid
interesting results.
Version 4.0 allows this setting to be adjusted in the configfile.

Server: FreeBSD, as far as I cansee in the /usr/ports/... subdirs it is
collectd 4.1.2 and I bet it was built with default settings, I see in
the collectd.conf Interval is set to 60 (seconds, I suppose).

Clients: Linux, collectd 4.5.1, built without any interval settings, I
even do not see them in ./configure --help . There's a commented out, I
suppose the default setting of the interval set at 10. It might be that
the problem is that my script passes data to collectd specifying
interval=60 , but I had started running it with intervals of 5 or 10
seconds, specified in the stdout output.

My questions are:

1. Is this interesting result mentioned in the FAQ?

2. Is deleting the wrong databases the only way to straighten things?
And how to set the things up avoiding such corruption in the future?

I am in a bit of a hurry. We wanted to collect and graph the data just
now, because of specifics of our business and the Holidays - Christmas
and New Year. For the time being we must do with stats collected locally
on the server as CSV. But then comes the New Year and I'd be very happy
if the data would be collected properly as RRD files.

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

PS: Merry Christmas to all of you and  Happy New Year