[collectd] putval of exec plugin seems to be ignored by collectd

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Aug 29 14:41:13 CEST 2008

Hi Ulf,

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 05:15:53PM +0200, Ulf Kreutzberg wrote:
> So here is my setup (linebreaks are caused by MUA and not in config):

your setup mostly looks okay.

> # =========BEGIN collectd.conf ===============
> Load
> Include "/etc/collectd/thresholds.conf"Plugin load
>
> # ====== END of collectd.conf  ===============

Is this a copy'n'paste mistake?

> # ====== BEGIN testscript ====================
> #!/bin/bash
> while true; do
>         echo "PUTVAL testhost/exec/testscript interval=10 N:1234"
>         sleep $INTERVAL
> done
> # ======= END testscript =====================

You're using the (undefined) variable `INTERVAL' here.. I'd change this
to read:
-- 8< --
 #!/bin/bash
 INTERVAL=10
 while true
 do
   echo "PUTVAL testhost/exec/testscript interval=$INTERVAL N:1234"
   sleep $INTERVAL
 done
-- >8 --
(Note that I have used the variable in the `echo' statement, too.)

So if I understand you correctly the script is running and you see
correct debugging output somewhere. Have you compiled collectd with
debugging enabled? If so, can you set the log level to debug and try
again? This will produce a lot of output, you might want to use
`logfile' instead of `syslog' for debugging..