[collectd] putval of exec plugin seems to be ignored by collectd

Ulf Kreutzberg ulf.kreutzberg at hosteurope.de
Thu Aug 28 17:15:53 CEST 2008

Hi Collectd list-members,

perhaps someone can help me with the exec plugin.
I am trying to use the exec plugin, because of testing, i have written a
small script that echos just one line all 10 seconds, like the smartctl
example. but collectd seems to ignore that output, at least neither no
rrd, nor any csv is written (those plugins are loaded and configured, of
course, and are recording for other values e.g. the cpu-load plugin
correctly).
The script "testscript" is being executed and working, I have added a
logger line for debugging.
Syslog does not show any errors.
I have edited types.db and added a line for testing on top for testing
purposes, but it did not work with or without that line.

Probably I am doing something wrong stupidly, as I am new to collectd.

So here is my setup (linebreaks are caused by MUA and not in config):

I am using collectd 4.4.2 self-compiled (4.4.1 did not work either, from
backports) running on Debian Etch, in a Xen domU....Kernel 2.6.18

# =========BEGIN collectd.conf ===============
FQDNLookup true
TypesDB "/usr/lib/collectd/types.db"
Interval 5

LoadPlugin syslog
<Plugin syslog>
       LogLevel debug
</Plugin>

LoadPlugin rrdtool
<Plugin rrdtool>
        DataDir "/var/lib/collectd/rrd"
        CacheTimeout 120
        CacheFlush 900
</Plugin>

LoadPlugin csv
<Plugin csv>
       DataDir "/var/lib/collectd/csv"
       StoreRates false
</Plugin>

LoadPlugin exec
<Plugin exec>
        Exec "testuser:testgroup" "/usr/local/bin/testscript"
</Plugin>
Load
Include "/etc/collectd/thresholds.conf"Plugin load

# ====== END of collectd.conf  ===============

# ====== BEGIN testscript ====================
#!/bin/bash
while true; do
        echo "PUTVAL testhost/exec/testscript interval=10 N:1234"
        sleep $INTERVAL
done
testscript              value:GAUGE:0:U
apache_bytes            count:COUNTER:0:134217728
apache_connections      count:GAUGE:0:65535
# ... snip ..... rest omitted and left original

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Ulf Kreutzberg