[collectd] snmp plugin and "Table true" in 4.4.1

Sergey a_s_y at sama.ru
Thu Aug 28 10:13:15 CEST 2008

On Thursday 28 August 2008, Florian Forster wrote:

> Yes, this is very likely the problem: The maximum length of each part of
> an ``identifier'', i. e. hostname, plugin, type and both *-instances, is
> 63 characters (it's one short of 64, because there has to be a termina-
> ting null byte). The `^'s above shows you what part of the string is
> actually used.

Ok, thanks.

> You could check if this switch can return IF-MIB::ifName, that's often a
> lot shorter. Also, with many switches you can set the description, have
> you checked that? Last but not least, some switches allow you to set
> IF-MIB::ifAlias, maybe that works for you..

I have set values for IF-MIB::ifAlias, but collectd continues to use
IF-MIB::ifDescr. Does I correctly understand, what it sets by "Instance"
in "Data" section ?

> As a last resort, you could increase DATA_MAX_NAME_LEN in src/plugin.h.

Well, as a last resort. I like a variant with IF-MIB::ifAlias more
if it will work.

> I'll think about the consequences, maybe I'll increase that name in a
> future version..

What do you think about InstanceRewrite feature ? For example, by regular
expression.

Sergey