[collectd] memcached timeout (Was: Problems with collectd and KVM)

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Aug 23 12:05:32 CEST 2008

Hi Joost,

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:39:04AM +0200, Joost Cassee wrote:
> Aug 15 01:47:45 paulus collectd[25216]: memcached: poll() failed or timed out
> Aug 15 01:47:45 paulus collectd[25216]: read-function of plugin `memcached' failed. Will suspend it for 10 seconds.

bug #26 (see [0]) was caused by the same problem, so apparently you're
not the only one who gets this message. I've committed a fix to the Git
repository which
- fixes the file descriptor leak mentioned in the bug report, and
- is more informative about what really happens.
The changed code will tell you whether a timeout or an error occurred
and will tell you the precise error message, too. Would you mind giving
this a shot before I pack and release 4.3.4 and 4.4.3? Hopefully this
will tell is in more detail what's going on..

[0] <http://collectd.org/mantis/view.php?id=26>