[collectd] output plugin for Splunk

Clay Loveless clay at mashery.com
Fri Aug 22 23:59:23 CEST 2008

On Aug 22, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Pavel Shramov wrote:

> One possible way to use collectd as source of info for some other
> system
> is to run convertor which parses collect data and feeds Your system.
> In such setup sending collectd data to multicast address is very
> usefull.

Yep, that's what I'm ultimately doing.

For all you Splunk users out there, I'm going to be releasing a
"Splunk for Collectd" app on SplunkBase.com before long. Just need to
get some reports built up around the data that I'm now indexing.

The Python code which I'm using to access the collectd-unixsock
interface is here [1], and the code I'm having Splunk call every 10
seconds as a scripted input is here [2]. The scripted input has some
short-lived persistence to make sure that duplicate readings aren't
imported into Splunk redundantly.

Gunning for my t-shirt here ... I'd like to contribute the collectd.py
script below to the project so that others using Python to retrieve
collectd readings may take a shortcut.

Best,
Clay

[1]: http://s3.killersoft.com/collectd.py