[collectd] rc8 is not working

Sergiusz Pawlowicz sergiusz at pawlowicz.name
Wed May 9 00:15:36 CEST 2007

On 5/8/07, Florian Forster <octo at verplant.org> wrote:
> Hi Sergiusz,
>
> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 06:12:03PM +0100, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> > hello, probably it is good idea to return into alpha release names,
> > because changes in so called "release candidates" are too huge.
>
> I'm not happy about the many changes in the RC line, but I think going
> back to calling the tarballs `alpha*' is just confisuing as hell. I
> think (yes, In know I've said this before, but hopefully this time I'm
> right) that no more features need to be added to the 4.0.0 release.

I still think that current rc8 is not useable, and before publishing
next "rc's" they should be much more tested, because i fight today
with spec file for redhat I wrote, more then two hours, because
i thouthgt that i broke something during spec preparation, and after
these two hours i found older rc4 which works as a charm.

It is funny that I must change four lines in spec file between rc4 and rc8 ;-(

I forgot to mention that perl plugin in rc8 does not compile at all,
but i just switch it off.

> What's left to be done is to thoroughly test the migration script
> (Sebastian has found a problem with the disk-plugin) and adapt the
> collection.cgi, though since displaying the graphs is not a focus of
> collectd it'd be okay for me to release the version without it. But I
> guess that'd be kind of a showstopper nonetheless.
>
> > rc4 works well, rc8 even does not start, on strace it stops on reading
> > types.db file.
>
> Is the daemon exiting/dying or just hanging? If you could provide some
> stack backtrace or the above strace or something that might be useful..

I'll try :-) In trace as as rememeber it gets SIGTERM just after reading
the first libe of types.db. because in rc4 there is no types.db file, it
probably works much better :-)

Tomorrow I'l send here my spec file for redhat, I just need to write
pre-post-installation scripts.

S.