[collectd] Lighttpd plugin

Sat Feb 17 09:15:59 CET 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 04:30:17PM +0100, Florent wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:05:22 +0100, Florian Forster <octo.trailing-username(a)leading-domain.verplant.org> wrote:
> > Sebastian is in the progress of writing a Perl-interface for the plugin
> > infrastructure and I wanted to look into a fork/exec plugin.
>
> That's awesome. shell-script, php, python and ruby would be great too :)

Well, if anyone wants to contribute a plugin which provides Phyton- or
Ruby-bindings that'd be great. I myself don't have enough experience
with either language to write that myself. PHP, I don't quite see the
point.. PHP's for web stuff, kind of like serverside-includes on drugs.

Since I don't know of any way to include sh, bash, csh, .. in other
programs and because it's fairly easy program, I wanted to write an
`exec'-plugin which works similar to `CGI': Not very performant, but
language independent.

> I wrote some script shell putting some values in SNMP tree.

That's a point that crossed my mind, too: The `unixsock'-plugin provides
a command called `GETVAL' to query values. It shouldn't be too hard to
add a command like `PUTVAL' which sends values to collectd.

> > If you're interested in what we had in mind, please read this
> > thread.  Any thoughts are, of course, welcome :)
> > <http://mailman.verplant.org/pipermail/collectd/2006-November/000592.html>
> >
> That's the kind of things I had in mine too. admin sys are probably
> the biggest audience of collectd, and they use shell and perl scripts,
> rarely C programming.

Right, but forking/execing stuff is slow and if that's sone n times each
10 seconds it might cause some serious system load. It's therefore only
suitable for the one small script you don't have time to do properly on
that friday evening. (And, as all people in charge of anything know:
Nothing lasts as long as a makeshift ;)

The far more intelligent, performant and complex solution is the Perl-
plugin Sebastian is looking into.