[collectd] Lighttpd plugin

Wed Feb 14 12:05:22 CET 2007

Hi again :)

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 11:45:02AM +0100, Florent wrote:
> some home-made applications store some statistics in RRD files.

> When I found collectd, I saw a replacement of net-snmp server + cacti
> poller, so I am maybe wrong about the collectd goal.

Sebastian is in the progress of writing a Perl-interface for the plugin
infrastructure and I wanted to look into a fork/exec plugin. Neither one
is done yet, but once they are they should provide an easy to use way to
provide such home-made information to collectd.

How does the SNMPd get the values? Does it read them from RRD-files,
too?

In my opinion, SNMP is great for switches, rack monitoring systems and
the like and I'm sure I'll write an SNMP-plugin at some point. For
machines which have a full-grown operating-system SNMP is a lot of
overhead, provides only very basic statistics out of the box and is not
extendable. I've written one C-extension for Net-SNMPd and I hope I
never have to do that again.

If you're interested in what we had in mind, please read this thread.
Any thoughts are, of course, welcome :)
<http://mailman.verplant.org/pipermail/collectd/2006-November/000592.html>