[collectd] collectd-4.0.7

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Aug 30 17:01:52 CEST 2007

Hi Aleksandr,

please, please, pretty please - with cream on top: Use the mailing-
list. Its address is <collectd at verplant.org> and all the positive things
I've been talking about, like other people profiting from your questions
or even answering your questions, will happen. Also, unicorns might
reappear. ;)

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 02:32:24PM +0300, a.shubnik at btis.by wrote:
>    But when i run 'make' command on machine without 'NUT' installed
> i get follow error:
>
> nut.c:42:3: error: #error "Unable to determine the UPS connection type."

Hmpf, apparently I didn't think far enough. I'll fix this in the next
pach-release, but for now you'll need to pass `--disable-nut' to the
configure script.

> Another options i don't disabled and haven't many programs and haven't
> any error messages.

That's the old behavior inherited from version 3. Starting with version
4.1 the configure script will automatically disable plugins whose
dependencies are not met. If you force to build a plugin using
`--enable-foobar' it will likely fail to build - unless you know
_exactly_ what you're doing and do a better job than the configure
script ;)

> Now (after i recreate 'var/lib/collectd' directory) when i entering in
> any parameter on html page i don't see any graphs (only empty page
> with link "Back to list of plugins")

Can you see any error messages in the webserver's error log? Are there
files created in that directory? Are there actually RRD files in the
directory? (See below.) Hows the rrdtool plugin configured?

> can i disable to create rrd-bases on client machine (i don't loaded
> 'rrdtool' plugin). I want to have data only on server?

Yes, if you don't load the rrdtool plugin no RRD files will be created.

> why collectd creates new rrd-data files for every new day?

It doesn't. The rrdtool plugin created one RRD file for each ``value
list'' received or collected which is then updated again and again and
again.

The `csv' plugin, on the other hand, creates one file per day because it
doesn't write the data in a round robin fashion and handling huge
textfiles isn't a nice job.

Please check if you have the `csv' plugin loaded. It doesn't write RRD
files, but it writes the data to files nontheless. In general, disabling
plugins you don't need is a good idea.

P. S.: Please remember to send future messages to the mailinglist.
       Please!